A Brief History of Duquesne Heights
Duquesne Heights is part of what was once “Coal Hill,” the upriver part of the city. The name of the community comes from Fort Duquesne, which was the French outpost built at the Point in the 1750s. Duquesne Heights was annexed to the city in 1872. Inclines were built in 1870 and 1877 to help make the neighborhood more accessible. German and later Italian immigrants settled in the area. In 1962, the Duquesne Incline needed so much repairs that it was sold to the Society for the Preservation of the Duquesne Incline. The next year, the Allegheny County Port Authority took over ownership of the incline and now leases it to the society. It is still part of the Pittsburgh transportation system and uses the same fares.
Fast Facts About Duquesne Heights
Duquesne Heights is located in the southwestern part of Pittsburgh. It is represented on the Pittsburgh City Council by District 2. Surrounding communities include Mt. Washington and Beechview. Duquesne Heights’ overall grade for living was an A. Its population is 3,378 and was rated well for housing and nightlife. Its median home value is $108,248 and the median rent is $994. It was rated a B for crime and safety. Household income is $64,544, slightly higher than the national average of $53,889. It earned a livability score of 73, mostly because of its local amenities and low cost of living.