A Brief History of Verona

History Of Verona

Verona is a borough in Allegheny County. It’s about 13 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. It was named by merging the names of two railroad stops—Verner and Iona—on the Allegheny Valley Railroad. James Verner founded the community. Various industries operated in Verona, including railroad shops, lumbar yards, steel casting works, iron works and a chemical plant. 20 and 30-something Pittsburghers may remember Hugs, the little drinks in the shape of jugs with foil tops that they drank as children. Verona is home to the American Beverage Corporation, which currently has a large production warehouse that makes the Hugs and Daily’s cocktail mixes. The warehouse stands where the train roundhouse used to be next to Plum Creek. Since 1900, the population of Verona hasn’t changed much. It began at 1,904 and as of the 2010 census, it was 2,474 people.

Fast Facts about Verona

History Of Verona

Verona is bordered by Oakmont, Penn Hills and O’Hara Township. Plum Creek runs through the neighborhood. There are 1,376 homes in Verona and almost 30 percent have children under the age of 18. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size is 2.98. The median income for Verona families is approximately $36,452. Verona is also home to the fast growing Pittsburgh Pickle Company, which Giant Eagle now carries.

Let's be friends. Never miss a Pittsburgh Beautiful post again!

You have successfully subscribed! Thanks for being apart of our community!

%d bloggers like this: