A Brief History of Jefferson Hills

 

History of Jefferson Hills

Jefferson Hills is a borough in Allegheny County that was created as Jefferson Township and named after Thomas Jefferson.  It is located approximately 15 miles south of the city of Pittsburgh.  The history of Jefferson Hills begins in 1828 with it’s formation out of old Mifflin Township.  Jefferson Township became a First Class Township in 1914. Just over 35 years later, Jefferson was chartered as a borough in 1950. Pleasant Hills borough ended up seceding from Jefferson in 1947. This ended up reducing the population of Jefferson and made the area less urban. The neighborhood was the geographic base of the Peters Creek Rangers during the Revolutionary War.

 

Facts about Jefferson Hills

 

History of Jefferson Hills

 

Jefferson Hills is primarily residential in nature. Mostly single family homes exist in Jefferson Hills and a major portion of the community drains into two watersheds (Peters Creek and the Calamity Hollow and West Elizabeth). The neighborhood is home to many recreational activities, including five parks. Those said parks are full of things to do like basketball, tennis and plenty of playground equipment. There’s also the Jefferson Hills Trailhead and Montour Trail (that one ends at Clairton and begins in Coraopolis). Runners and walkers will enjoy the Steel Valley Trail as well, which runs from Clairton through McKeesport to West Homestead. The neighborhood has a very successful school system with 69.3% of graduating high school seniors in Thomas Jefferson High School planning to enroll in a four-year college or university.

 

Loading
Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit

Let's be friends. Never miss a Pittsburgh Beautiful post again!

You have successfully subscribed! Thanks for being apart of our community!