A Brief History of Munhall

History of Munhall

Munhall is a borough in Allegheny County. It’s located eight miles southeast of the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers and just south of the city of Pittsburgh across the Mon. A big chunk of the Homestead Works was located in Munhall. Steel products from the Carnegie Steel Company (what the Homestead Works was a part of) were made in Munhall in 1910. At that time approximately 5,000 people lived there. In 1940, the population grew to a whopping 13,900. As of the 2010 census, about 11,000 people lived in Munhall. A post office was established in the neighborhood in 1887. The borough of Munhall was formed in June of 1901 and was named after John Munhalll who was the original owner of the town’s site.

Facts about Munhall

History of Munhall

The Homestead Library in Munhall was donated to the community by Andrew Carnegie. The facility, built in 1886, has since been restored and modernized. There are also indoor pools, basketball courts and other recreational facilities. The Waterfront shopping facilities opened in 2000 in Munhall on the site of Carnegie Steel Works. Also, near the river is a former mill structure known as the Pump House. That too has since been restored. A Byzantine Catholic Cathedral called St. John the Baptist is also in the neighborhood boundaries. West Field, a field from Negro League Baseball was also located in Munhall.  The borough of Munhall is bordered by Whitaker, West Mifflin, Homestead, West Homestead, Lincoln Place and more.

Loading
Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit

 

Advertisements

Let's be friends. Never miss a Pittsburgh Beautiful post again!

You have successfully subscribed! Thanks for being apart of our community!

%d bloggers like this: