A Brief History of Upper St. Clair
Upper St. Clair is a township with home rule status located in Allegheny County. It’s considered a suburb of Pittsburgh. The first European settler in what is now Upper St. Clair was named John Fife. He settled at the intersection of Washington and McLaughlin Run Roads in 1762. The community was named after General Arthur St. Clair. He lived during the Revolutionary War and was the ninth president of the U.S. in Congress Assembled. Under his administration, both the U.S. Constitution of 1787 and the Northwest Ordinance were passed. Back in 1836, St. Clair Township was divided into two separate townships called Upper and Lower St. Clair. Upper St. Clair residents ended up forming a township to make for better government service. In 1973, Upper St. Clair Township adopted a home rule charter that was effective at the beginning of 1976. Also, fun fact—the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794 had beginnings in the neighborhood.
Facts about Upper St. Clair
Originally formed as a volunteer militia company in the 1840s, the St. Clair Guards later became Company H of the 62nd Pennsylvania Infantry. The neighborhood housed mines in the late 19th century and today, it is considered one of the most affluent suburbs in Pittsburgh. Upper St. Clair is bordered by South Fayette Township, Bridgeville, Bethel Park, Mt.Lebanon, Peters Township and more.