Settler Casper Taub took the Friendship neighborhood just before the American Revolution, along with Bloomfield and Garfield. He claimed the neighborhoods from a Delaware Native American tribe. The city of Pittsburgh annexed the East End in 1868. Joseph Conrad Winebiddle, who married Elizabeth Taub, daughter of Casper, began dividing their land and selling it. Bloomfield was developed first, followed by this beautiful neighborhood, when trolleys started running along Baum Boulevard. This is how Friendship was first built as a streetcar suburb, hence the large homes for professional families in the Victorian era.
The neighborhood experienced a second birth in the late ’80s. In the early 2000s, artists and architects moved in and called the neighborhood their own. Today Friendship is experiencing a revitalization along with the neighboring communities of Bloomfield, Garfield and East Liberty. Many large, older Victorian homes in the neighborhood have been reclaimed and renovated. It’s proximity to the business districts of Bloomfield, Shadyside and closeness to Oakland make it an attractive area for new residents, students and families.