A Pittsburgh neighborhood in the East End of the City, Regent Square is bordered by the city of Pittsburgh neighborhoods of Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze and Swisshelm Park. This area has 2 zip codes, which also include the boroughs of Edgewood, Swissvale and Wilkinsburg. Geographically, Regent Square is on a plateau in the city bordered by three steep valleys, Fern Hollow Creek on the West, and Nine Mile Run to the Southeast.
The land was originally settled by Col. Dunning McNair in the late 18th century and later by Judge William Wilkins in the late 19th century. The name, Regent Square, was given to the area by William Harmon of Harmon realty, who, in 1919 was able to acquire the current neighborhood, referred to as the Devon Plan at the time. Naming it Regent Place originally, he later changed it to the name it has now.
The neighborhood prospered into the mid 1900’s as a quiet garden suburb with many residents who were employees of Westinghouse Electric at the time. It was a distinctly Irish neighborhood, still giving way to it’s roots today on the names of several of the businesses.
Regent Square is now characterized by a large proportion of professionals associated with the city’s medical and educational institutions. The residents also share the neighborhood with a significant number of students and younger singles attracted to the proximity to Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, Frick Park, and readily available mass transit to downtown Pittsburgh.