South Park Township
South Park Township is located about 12 miles south of the city of Pittsburgh. The Township was established in 1966, but the area dates back to 1788 when Allegheny County was formed from parts of Westmoreland and Washington Counties. Snowden Township, formed in 1845 and named for Judged Snowden of Pittsburgh was formed from parts of the original St. Clair and Jefferson Townships. In 1966, a referendum changed the name to South Park Township.
The township includes the areas of Curry, Broughton, Bruceton, Snowden, Windover Hills, Piney Fork, Knothole, and Library. Library was originally known as “Loafers Hollow” but changed to “Library” in honor of the first library established in the area by John Moore in 1833.
South Park Township has grown from a population of 831 in the 1900’s to a current estimated population of over 13,000. A large part of the township is composed of residential housing and the recreational area of South Park. The community is growing due to a dedicated municipal effort to serve and provide the residents exceptional services including a public library, police protection, EMS and public works.